Thursday, 28th March 2024 11:36
Home / Uncategorized / APPT9 Aussie Millions Day 1a: Not a bad place to bust a tournament

Ask anyone why they love coming to the Aussie Millions and quite often the answer will simply be one word: Melbourne.

Sure, some make the trek to play in the biggest poker events in the world, but for others the Aussie Millions is a great holiday and a good chance to spend time in one of the best cities in the world.

I should have prefaced this with the disclaimer that the writer is a Melbournian, but that’s my claim and I’m sticking to it. And even if you don’t think it’s one of the best cities in the world, it’s hard to argue that January isn’t a great time to be in Melbourne.

Not only is there of course the Aussie Millions, but there is the Australian Open.

It’s one of the biggest sporting events in the world with hundreds of thousands of spectators attending over two weeks to enjoy some sun, fun and world-class tennis.

The tennis steals the attention of poker players too as there have been quite a few whispers of big-name players missing the start of tournaments because they were busy at the Australian Open.

And even tonight on Day 1a of the Aussie Millions Main Event you can see dozens of players with their eyes glued to the big screens.

AM_Tennis_Screen.jpg

There will be a few fist pumps at the poker tables this week

An ante or two has been momentarily forgotten as a big rally on the tennis court takes place.

Not too long ago the majority of the room were fixated on a five-set match between new Australian tennis hero Nick Kyrgios and Andreas Seppi, who is the player who recently knocked legend Roger Federer out of the Australian Open.

Kyrgios won, the crowd went wild and once again an ante or two was momentarily forgotten.

Eliminated from the Aussie Millions? No sweat, just jump on one of Melbourne’s trams and head on down to catch some world-class tennis.

There are certainly worse times of the year you could bust a tournament in Melbourne.
Don’t enjoy the tennis? Well, maybe some of the suggestions from PokerStars.tv presenter Sarah Grant in the video below will provide some inspiration.

Study Poker with Pokerstars Learn, practice with the PokerStars app