Friday, 19th April 2024 03:19
Home / Uncategorized / Bryan Huang: Life-changing money, life-changing conversation

Sometimes, the most memorable thing that can come out of a PokerStars tournament has nothing to do with a hand you played, a beat you took, or a trophy you won. Sometimes, it’s about a conversation you have.

This week, as part of the Billionth Tournament Carnival, we’ve been asking members of Team PokerStars Pro to look back on some of the PokerStars tournaments they remember the most fondly. Many people talk about the time they won a COOP event or the time they faced off against a well-known foe. Bryan Huang took us down a different road.

It happened the night he was hosting the final table of a SCOOP event.

“I wished everyone good luck at the final table as usual, and one player started asking me some questions in the chat box about what he should do with his winnings,” Huang recalled.

This might have been a weird time for a conversation, but for some reason, Huang decided to answer honestly.

“I answered him with some advice about practicing good bankroll management, and I remember saying something also about not spewing your money off but to save for the future,” Huang said.

It might have ended there, but it didn’t.

team_Pro_huang_billion.jpg

Six months later, Huang got a message from that guy at the final table.

That player had won around $30,000, his biggest score ever. While $30,000 may not seem like life-changing money, for this guy, it was in more ways than one.

“He explained how he had actually been in a bad place in his life at the time, involved with drugs and so on, and how my advice not to be wasteful with his money and be smart with his decisions had really helped him,” Huang said. “He used the money to get into rehab and help himself get clean and reconnect with his family, and I felt glad I was able to be a positive influence for him.”

Previously:

Jan Heitmann: What is your most memorable PokerStars tourney?

Ivan Demidov: When he thought he could win them all

Team Pros pick out their favourite tournament memories

is the PokerStars Head of Blogging

Study Poker with Pokerstars Learn, practice with the PokerStars app