Friday, 29th March 2024 07:21
Home / Uncategorized / Seat open in the Shark Cage! Qualify today.

What would you rather do? “Dive into a” or “appear on” Shark Cage?

Unless you’re one of those adrenaline types, and if you’re reading this while tightrope walking the Grand Canyon that’s you, you may be thinking that we’ve lost our minds, that the poker is the more appealing option. A chance to play the game you love against pros and celebrities, on television, on an island in Paradise? There’s no discussion to be had.

I was thinking this as I watched the first episode a few days ago.

In the first show, which featured Lex Veldhuis, Tony Dunst, Phil Laak, Jennifer Harman and Jason Alexander, players were routinely dismissed, condemned to the Shark Cage and a very public humiliation. Out there, alone, with at least two cameras focused on their face–the fool who either tried to bluff or failed to catch one. All of a sudden the wet-suit and chum option seemed quite appealing.

sharkcage_qlfy_3nov14.jpg

Oh sure, it looks fun now…

Perhaps that’s a bit of an exaggeration. Personally I would have to be chased by a pack of sharks before I climbed into a shark cage. But if you’re the type who likes the spotlight, likes a challenge, and likes the idea of a lot of money at the end of it, then now is your time — for qualifying events for Season 2 ofShark Cage begin today.

This is your chance to win one of three seats available for the first three heats of Shark Cage Season 2. Win one and you’ll get four nights stay at the Atlantis Resort in the Bahamas during the PokerStars Caribbean Adventure, plus flights and $800 spending money. What’s more you can bring someone along with you, an eye-witness who can corroborate your stories when you get back home.

In case you’re new to the whole concept or simply found this page by Googling “near death experiences”, Shark Cage is the show where poker legends from around the world compete in heats for a seat at the final. It’s an innovative format which includes a 30-second shot clock (to keep the action moving), and of course the all-important bluff button. If a player pulls off a bluff on the river, the loser gets sent to the Shark Cage to miss an orbit. The bluffer meanwhile gets bonus chips if they make it to the final. If the bluff gets called, it’s the bluffer who is incarcerated, and the player who called will get the bonus chips.

atlantis_pcawomen_3nov14.jpg

Atlantis Resort, where you can come face to face with sharks both inside and outside

Each of these heats has a seat open for a PokerStars player. Here’s how you could fill it.
The first of these new heats will take place during the 2015 PokerStars Caribbean Adventure in January–not a bad trip even if events at the table go badly. You can begin the process of qualifying today, with tournaments taking place online daily at 12:05 ET, 14:05 ET and 16:05 ET, running until November 9.

As well as there being an added prize pool of $1,500, the top 20 finishers in each qualifier will advance to the casting stage, essentially the audition stage for the TV show (shrinking violets look away now).

It’s at this point where we’ll ask you to submit a two minute video, where you get to tell us your story. It’ll need to be a snappy, fun and enthusiastic presentation of your personality. And while you may be thinking “I will express my personality using nothing but dance”, that’s fine, I guess, but we like videos to be in English. Once you have it perfect, load it onto YouTube and email the link to sharkcage@pokerstars.com no later than 23:59 ET, November 16.

Still interested? Well that’s great. All you need to do to get started is deposit $30 (€23/£18) or more, before 16:00 ET on November 9, using bonus code ‘SHARKPCA’ for ten free tickets. You can then use these to enter any of the Shark Cage qualifier tournaments.

That’s all there is to it. Still want to test yourself on one of pokers toughest and unique environments? Then it’s time to get started. For a full list of terms and conditions, as well as everything you need to know about Shark Cage itself, check out the Shark Cage webpage.

Good luck. And while you fire up the video camera, I’m off to buy a snorkel and flippers.

Stephen Bartley is a staff writer for the PokerStars Blog.

Study Poker with Pokerstars Learn, practice with the PokerStars app